My dear sisters in the League,
I hope this afternoon finds you all well and safe at home. I have been advised that some members, members of their families or friends are suspected of having contracted COVID-19. If that is the case for you, please know members of the diocesan team and I are keeping you in prayer.
On behalf of the diocesan team, I promised to bring updates to my earlier message that all Catholic Women’s League of Canada conventions have been cancelled this year. I met on a conference call with the Ontario provincial team on Monday and via video conference with the diocesan team on Tuesday. Each group discussed plans for the future and made some preliminary decisions. Below is a synopsis of the situation at present:
- The provincial convention has been cancelled and registration fees will be refunded.
- All resolutions submitted for consideration at the 2020 convention will be held over until 2021.
- The resolutions process is open and all councils are encouraged to consider and begin work on resolutions ideas anytime.
- A decision regarding a general meeting of the provincial council will be made when direction from National has been received. Any information will be disseminated through the various levels of the League and on the provincial website: cwl.on.ca.
- Hamilton Diocese
- The diocesan convention has been cancelled and registration fees will be refunded.
- All rooms booked at the Crowne Plaza using the CWL code have been cancelled but it would be prudent to call the hotel directly to confirm. The hotel can be reached directly at (519) 744-4141.
- A decision regarding the format for a general meeting of the diocesan council will be made when direction from National has been received. Information will be disseminated through the regional chairs and the diocesan website: cwlhamilton.ca. Please forward to all who have email and try to call those who do not.
- All diocesan meetings, gatherings and events have been postponed for the balance of 2020. It is our desire that meetings, gatherings and events will take place when it is safe to do so. Regular updates will be disseminated through the regional chairs and the diocesan website. Please forward to all who have email and try to call those who do not.
- Several activities designed for members will be forwarded through the regional chairs and will be posted on the website. They will include:
- weekly spiritual development items for personal and collective use;
- a 100th Anniversary interactive activity;
- leadership development documents and presentations, beginning with Five W’s of an Agenda PowerPoint presentation, as given at the Hamilton Region meeting;
- reminders for council updates and email address implementation;
- ideas for councils and members to address the loneliness we all feel during this time;
- at times, humorous items for enjoyment.
Please contact me or any other member of the diocesan team using the email addresses as listed on the website if we can be of any assistance. You can also contact us to share items with your sisters across the diocese.
It is my honour and privilege to “travel this road, with you, for God and Canada.”
Hamilton Diocese President